cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32 USB VID and windows driver compatibility.

durgesh saxena
Associate
Posted on March 24, 2018 at 04:16

Hi,

In my current project, I'm using STM32F070RG with USB mass storage class, DFU class, and CDC class. Currently, the project is in development so I'm using the ST VID and PID (default comes from cubeMX code). I'm going to have customer VID in the final production version of the firmware. I have few questions regarding VID and windows driver compatibility.

My device should support windows 7, 8 and Windows 10.

1. Do I need to write customer USB driver for windows?

2. Is ST USB driver can be used? 

3. Is it OK to use ST VID and PID in production version?

#stm32-f0 #stm32-f4 #vendor-specific-driver-usb #stm
1 REPLY 1
STOne-32
ST Employee
Posted on March 25, 2018 at 16:19

Dear

d.saxena.bluchips

‌,

Thanks asking. I will start by answering the questions from bottom 😉

3) You can not use ST VID/PID in production 'as is' , If you have a VID it should be fine, if you do not have ST can sub-license you few PIDs using our VID after the acceptance of the agreement that we will send you and agreed with USB IF.org.

2) Yes, you can use ST Driver if connected only to STM32 MCUs as an end target.

For Mass storage : Native Windows driver plug& play no need to install

For CDC , you need just to change the .inf file and then sign it for Win8.x and below , But no more need with

Win 10 as no more required like mass storage ( Plug & play) without install.

For DFU driver : you can re-use our driver but you need to unlock it with your VID/PID ( .inf change) and also we need to send you a Key to be able to use it. for Win10, you need to certify/sign it with Microsoft as the signature or kernel driver is now mandatory to go with WHCK else it will not be loaded.

1) Of course you can build your own drivers.

I recommend to contact your distributor or FAE for (2 and 3) follow-up points.

Cheers,

STOne-