Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searching for a 2 CAN board

B C
Associate II
Posted on June 12, 2018 at 09:44

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a board with a STM32F4 or any other microcontroller (STM32) with 2 CAN. The main issue I am facing, is finding a developpement board where the 2 CAN inputs/outputs are available (for example in the STM32F4 discovery board, one is connected to the USB, which doesn't suit me).

So if anyone knows a board that could fit my needs !

In advance, thanks !

#board #stm32f4 #can #development

Note: this post was migrated and contained many threaded conversations, some content may be missing.
12 REPLIES 12
David SIORPAES
ST Employee
Posted on June 12, 2018 at 12:56

Hello,

STM3240G-EVAL and STM3241G-EVAL boards have two CAN interfaces (but only one transceiver).

All CAN signals are available on external headers however:

0690X0000060KvGQAU.png
Posted on June 12, 2018 at 14:48

The RedDragon407 has 2 CAN ports, demo'd functionality several years back.

There was an issue with pins swaped on a jumper but was able to work with it, they might have reved the board since.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RedDragon407-STM32F4-Cortex-M4-3-2-Ethernet-wireless-2-4G-SDIO-Serial-camera-/121087293812

CAN code and jumper info

https://community.st.com/0D50X00009XkiDZSAZ

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on June 12, 2018 at 14:02

That would work exactly the same way as if I had two transceivers, right ? 

For you to understant a bit more, I am trying to basically create a link between two CAN network working at a different rate. These boards could work for this application, right ?

Thanks !

Edit : I just looked at the prices of these two boards and oh boy, it's pretty expensive ... There aren't any cheaper boards doing the same thing, no ?

Posted on June 12, 2018 at 14:44

EVAL boards are pretty expensive but the only ones that have onboard transceiver and DB9 connector.

As a much cheaper alternative you may want to go with a

http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/evaluation-tools/product-evaluation-tools/mcu-eval-tools/stm32-mcu-eval-tools/stm32-mcu-nucleo/nucleo-f446re.html

and mount external transceivers such as 

https://www.amazon.com/SN65HVD230-CAN-Board-Communication-Development/dp/B00KM6XMXO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1528806936&sr=8-2&keywords=SN65HVD230

(just picked up the first Amazon choice, double check if suits your needs).
Posted on June 12, 2018 at 16:05

This alternative looks like it would suit my needs better. DB9 connector is far from being a necessity in my case, and having external transceivers is not a real issue either.

Just to be sure I won't make any mistake, if I chose the Nucleo board, I would need to buy 2 transceivers, right (or find one that could take 2 inputs, 2 outputs and send them on 2 different CAN bus) ?

Thanks again for your help.

Posted on June 12, 2018 at 16:08

Thank you for your answer.

However, this alternative still looks a bit expensive for me.

Nonetheless, thank you very much for your code, it is highly appreciated and will help me a lot I hope.

Posted on June 12, 2018 at 16:10

Just to be sure I won't make any mistake, if I chose the Nucleo board, I would need to buy 2 transceivers, right (or find one that could take 2 inputs, 2 outputs and send them on 2 different CAN bus) ?

Yes, that's correct. One transceiver per CAN interface.

Posted on June 12, 2018 at 17:11

I took a look at the Nucleo schematics and I don't understand something, where am I supposed to connect the transceivers ? I saw that the 2 CAN IO are on pins : PB12-13 and PA11-12, are these pin available ? Because it seems that they are also connected to the USB DM/DP and JTCK/SWDIO

Posted on June 12, 2018 at 17:35

It depends whether you will use or not USB function. JTCK/SWDIO are on PA13/PA14, not PB12/PB13 so there's not conflict (I think you looked to the STM32F103 which implements ST-Link functionality).

Note that you can also map CAN1 on PB8/PB9 and CAN2 on PB5/PB6 if the other pin mappings conflict with a function you need in your application.

If still short of pins you may consider to move to a solution with more IOs such as the NUCLEO-F446ZE.

You can use CubeMX tool to find and configure the alternate functions of your application very easily.