Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum cover window for VL53L1X/VL53L0X

Diego Moreno
Associate II
Posted on March 28, 2018 at 16:07

The previous proximity sensor 

VL53L0X has a application note (AN4907: VL53L0X ranging module cover window guidelines) that specifies the cover window thickness limits for different distances that can be measured.

I wonder if there is a similar document for the new VL53L1X, because so far I could not find any. I need to measure at least 1000mm for a cover window that is 

3mm thick.

Is there is a way to measure the 1000mm with the 3mm cover window for the VL53L0X, that would be even better.

#cover-window #vl53l0x #cover-glass #vl53l1x
2 REPLIES 2
Ben Rude
Associate
Posted on April 06, 2018 at 19:59

I asked the same question and submitted a ticket to support, their response:

With the minor exception of the exclusion cones being different sizes and the chip dimensions being slightly different, all that data is still correct.

Hornix also builds a coverglass for the L1X part. (Slightly different size.) 

Hope this helps!!

John E KVAM
ST Employee
Posted on May 02, 2018 at 00:21

The VL53L0X and the VL53L1X work the same way. The L1X - due to a lens - has better light gathering. Gathering more light is going to make it a better candidate for ranging through particularly bad cover glass. And a 3mm glass is almost the definition of bad in this case. If you didn't like the L0X performance, invest the $50 and try the L1X. You might be pleasantly surprised.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. It helps the next guy.