cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microcontroller suggestion

Posted on April 06, 2018 at 10:19

Hello,

I am a Masters student in Embedded Systems at KTH working on a thesis to develop a blasting monitoring sensor and wanted to hear your suggestions on uCs.

My intent is to measure ground vibrations with 3 geophones and sample each signal from an external ADC at 4kHz while continuously comparing these values to a threshold value. When the threshold is passed, FFTs and post-processing still need to be performed because of the non-linear frequency response of the geophones. When the threshold is confirmed to be passed based on the frequency, it will trigger the recording of the signals on an external RAM (>10Mb).

In short, I am looking for a uC that can do 4kHz sampling of at least 3 ADC signals, comparisons, FFTs, can be easily interfaced to an external RAM, and be as low-power as possible. It will also need â‰¥1 SPI interface, â‰¥1 I2C interface, â‰¥2 UART interfaces and â‰¥6 GPIOs. 

Thanks for the help!

Xavier Lajoumard de Bellabre

mailto:xldb@kth.se

1 REPLY 1
Lead
Posted on April 06, 2018 at 12:14

Most of your requirements are pretty standard - except for the RAM size.

10 MByte is one or two orders of magnitude more than the usual internal SRAM, and as external RAM not really 'low power'.

My first idea would be a standard data logger with a notebook.

But I guess you want permanent monitoring with service cycles in month rather than hours.