cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I got ''Target power failure'' error when I built a project

Zhentao Lu
Associate II
Posted on April 12, 2018 at 04:45

I bought a development board -STM3210C-SK/RAIS [Development Boards & Kits - ARM Raisonance]. I intalled the Ride 7 from the CD in the package, set up and confirmed all jumpers then opened an example - QuickStart_STM32F After I clicked the Project -> Build Project command, there is an error saying that ''Target power failure: Measured 0.000000V.

There is a quick start manual.

0690X00000604ZPQAY.jpg

The error:

0690X00000603leQAA.jpg

In Debug options window, if I clicked

“Connect to Debugger�?, then:

0690X00000604ZTQAY.jpg

I assume that the board has already connected with my computer.

This is my board:

0690X0000060401QAA.jpg

I searched in google and found two websites talking about such error but their boards are not exactly same as my board.

Target power failure: Measured 0.100000V - problem on Windows XP

http://www.stm32circle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=86

Topic : I got ''Target power failure'' error when I built a project

http://support.raisonance.com/node/897559

It seems something goes wrong on my board. Does anyone have the same problem? Thank you very much.

Zhentao Lu

#power #stm-32 #failure

Note: this post was migrated and contained many threaded conversations, some content may be missing.
17 REPLIES 17
Lead
Posted on April 12, 2018 at 07:21

Raisonance has a forum as well, but they are not mentioned often here.

Might be worth to register there.

But to your issue - might it be that the target is really not powered ?

Not sure if the Raisonance debug pod can power a target, but surely not such a large one as depicted.

Check the dev board manual for power supply options, and supply it externally.

Andrew Neil
Evangelist
Posted on April 13, 2018 at 10:48

I bought a development board - STM3210C-SK/RAIS [Development Boards & Kits - ARM

Raisonance

].

So, if it's a Raisonance board - you should be contacting Raisonance for support! 

http://www.raisonance.com/raisonance-support.html

http://www.raisonance.com/contact-raisonance.html

Posted on April 13, 2018 at 09:35

Thank you very much. Actually there is another cable to connect to the daughter board from computer. I didn't connect it in the picture. But it's no help. No matter it is connected or not, there is always such error. I changed to a new cable but it doesn't work. I thought about supplying it externally but I couldn't find a manual in anywhere (CD or paper or website). I'm now thinking to return the board and get money back. Thanks anyway.

Posted on April 13, 2018 at 10:14

I'm pretty sure there are status LEDs on this board, at least for 'power on'.

And there might jumpers to set, to select a power supply option.

If ther is no LED at all on, it is suspicious.

In your place, I would contact Raisonance.

I know of other companies that hide datasheets and user manuals for their stuff from free access, i.e. one needs a login.

Posted on April 13, 2018 at 11:29

Thank you so much for you quick replay.

As you said, there is a power LED. And it is on after I plugged in USB cable to development board. Now I plugged in the other cable to daughter board on lower right of picture.

0690X00000604ZxQAI.jpg

I checked the power jumpers according to quick start sheet. USB 5V connects with VDD and USB connects with REG in.

0690X00000604ZdQAI.jpg

Then I started the Ride 7 software and click connect target button in Debug options window. The error showed up. And the busy LED is turned on and never turned off.

0690X00000604ZjQAI.jpg0690X00000604ZsQAI.jpg

The seller insists that the board is good and some jumpers or software operations need to do then problem will be gone. I sent an email to Raisonance and asked for help. Hope they can give me solution.

Thanks very much.

Posted on April 13, 2018 at 11:38

Thank you very much about the information. I posted my question on Raisonance forum 5 days ago but no one answered. I sent an email to its support email box. Hope it's working. Thanks anyway.

Posted on April 13, 2018 at 13:12

Zhentao Lu wrote:

The seller insists that the board is good...

Is the 'seller' not Raisonance themselves, then?

... and some jumpers or software operations need to do then problem will be gone.

You should push them to be more specific.

Posted on April 13, 2018 at 13:13

I haven't used Raisonance for years (in fact, have barely even heard them mentioned) - but their support certainly used to be good ...

EDIT

I justtook a look at the 'ARM' section of their website; the picture seems to prominently feature your board:

http://www.raisonance.com/tzr/scripts/resizer.php?filename=T004/img1/7f/df/4sc72i7ridjx&mime=image%2Fpng&&originalname=tool.png

So I guess it must be a current product.

So you should be able to expect good support.

Posted on April 16, 2018 at 10:08

Yes, as you said, the 'seller' is not Raisonance. It is a seller on Alibaba which is e-business website like eBay. The seller does not even know English and they asked me to describe and translate the error in English. They just gave me the ST website and suggested me to send my problem to ST. I'm getting disappointed. Tomorrow I'll return my board to them and ask them to return my money.