Did you mean: 

Issue with X-NUCLEO-IDW04A1

Olivier Frenette
Associate
Posted on April 13, 2018 at 01:22

Hi,

I recently bought the following development boards : 

- NUCLEO-L476RG

- X-NUCLEO-IDW04A1 (Wifi expansion board)

I am also using the following software packages: 

- STM32Cube_FW_L4_V1.11.0

- STM32CubeExpansion_WIFI1_V3.1.1

- System workbench for STM32 (SW4STM32)

- I believe I have the latest ST-LINK driver : V2.J30.M20

The NUCLEO-L476RG works great. I have programmed it with a few different projects from the package and everything works fine. The problem I have is when I try using the WiFi expansion board. I have tried all the examples that come with the package (Client, Server, Http request, WiFi_VCOM). I have had no luck with all of these. The WiFi expansion board just doesn't seem to do anything. I get stuck during the Wifi initialize process (see figure 1).

I am assuming the Wifi expansion board is not flashed properly. So, I tried to flash it using the STM procedure :X-NUCLEO-IDW0xx1- FW upgrading over UART_v1.2. I already have a problem during the first step of this procedure. When I drag and drop the .bin file in the nucleo drive, I get a fail.txt file (figure 2), and the board keeps on turning ON and OFF until windows tell me there is a problem with the device (duh). 

Since I can't drag and drop the file, I tried to program the board using the tool : STM32 ST-LINK Utility (figure 3). Seems like this works fine, but I can't know for sure. At this point, I can't get anything out of a serial terminal. After that, I follow the instructions to program the expansion board using JMP2, and the flash loader tool. The procedure tells me to make sure that the start address is 0x8002800, but sector 5 for me is 0x8020000 (figure 3). The tool won't let me change it, so I don't wanna risk programming it and overwriting something important and bricking the whole thing.

I also tried the quick start guide for IDW04A1. The document says to drag and drop the .bin file of the WiFi-VCOM project in the nucleo drive. When I do this, I get the same behavior as mentionned before. I also tried to program it with both SW4STM32 and the ST-lINK utility, but all I get from the serial terminal is a bunch of crap (figure 4).

I believe I am doing exactly what STM documentations says, I have the jumpers placed where they need to be. I have absolutely no clue what to do next. 

Any help or shared similar experience is appreciated! I feel like the only thing that would solve this is just to buy another board. 

Thank you,

Olivier

#wifi-expansion #nucleo-l476rg #fail.txt #x-nucleo-idw04a1 #update-firmware #stm32l476rgt6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Olivier Frenette
Associate
Posted on April 15, 2018 at 20:42

I finally found out what was wrong. First of all, to flash the Wifi module SPWF04, I followed the procedure named STSW-IDW004 Wifi hands on training. The other other one i refered to in my previous post seems to be outdated. I flashed the SPWF04, and then I had to change the configuration in the Wifi project, since by default it uses the SPWF01. Also, in the VCOM project, apparently someone changed the UART speed to 921600 instead of 115200 if you're not using a STM32 from the L0 series (mine is L4). Hope this can help other people...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Olivier Frenette
Associate
Posted on April 15, 2018 at 20:42

I finally found out what was wrong. First of all, to flash the Wifi module SPWF04, I followed the procedure named STSW-IDW004 Wifi hands on training. The other other one i refered to in my previous post seems to be outdated. I flashed the SPWF04, and then I had to change the configuration in the Wifi project, since by default it uses the SPWF01. Also, in the VCOM project, apparently someone changed the UART speed to 921600 instead of 115200 if you're not using a STM32 from the L0 series (mine is L4). Hope this can help other people...

RoSchmi
Associate II

Thanks for posting your findings (Baudrate 921600)