cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The download resource read-only problem

Gary wen
Associate II
Posted on April 11, 2018 at 16:06

Recently, I download the STM32Cube firmware examples for STM32H7 Series,  but when I extract it, all the things are read-only. And there is no use for me to change the properties of the document, unclicking the read-only option. Have everyone meet the same issue?

Thank you so much!
8 REPLIES 8
Posted on April 11, 2018 at 17:36

Yes, so user file manager and right-click to change the properties on the entire directory tree.

Unpacked manually, or with CubeMX?

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on April 11, 2018 at 20:41

Thanks, I have right click to change the properties when it is .zip file. But when extracting the zip file, the documents inside are still read-only. Every time I change the file properties, when I open it, it also shows read-only. I open it with Keil MDK.

Is it normal for everyone to download the examples with read-only? 

Thank you so much!
Posted on April 11, 2018 at 21:03

If you let CubeMX download and unpack the files into the repository it doesn't mark them as read only.

I unpack things to a directory tree, and change the attributes as needed, I'm not continually pulling new copies from the ZIP file.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on April 11, 2018 at 23:34

Thank you for your helping, I will try CubeMX. 

Posted on April 12, 2018 at 09:32

You didn't unpack the zip into a protected folder under Windows like '

C:\Program...

', did you ?
Posted on April 13, 2018 at 21:34

Thanks, AvaTar. I try both in C:\ and other, they show the same. It shows the package maybe has some protection. I don't it is due to my fault or it has some special restriction. 

Posted on April 14, 2018 at 15:03

If it's somehow write-protected, try to un-set the read-only flag (right-click, Properties).

And don't forget the 'include subfolders' option.

For some folders, you cannot do this - 'C:\Program Files ..' is one example.

BTW, it is generally a good idea to keep dynamic data (like projects and source libs) on a second partition.

Might be too late to reshuffle the harddisk in your system without risk, though ...

Posted on April 14, 2018 at 18:54

Unlike other releases from ST the .ZIP file here describes the files with the +R attribute