cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting SDMMC to work with DMA2 Channel 4

Simone Agha
Associate
Posted on May 04, 2018 at 17:06

I'm using a STM32L461VGTx and am trying to implement the SDMMC peripheral to read and write to a SD card using DMA. I've adapted CubeMX FatFs_uSD_DMA_Standalone example to my project which uses a simpler, custom file system. The problem I'm seeing is this: I can get DMA2 Channel 5 to work but not DMA2 Channel 4. I've set up both DMA channels using CubeMX with the following settings:

• Priority: Low
  • DMA Request Settings: Mode: Normal
  • DMA Request Settings: Increment Address: Memory checked
  • Data Width: Peripheral: Word
  • Data Width: Memory: Word

I've tried swapping the DMA channels assigned to SDMMC Rx and Tx, and that doesn't help: it's always DMA2 Channel 4 that does not work regardless of whether it is handling Rx or Tx.

Specifically, I am calling HAL_SD_ReadBlocks_DMA or HAL_SD_WriteBlocks_DMA and waiting in a while loop for the operation to complete. The conditions I'm waiting for are:

1. HAL_SD_GetState != HAL_SD_STATE_BUSY
  2. HAL_SD_GetCardState == HAL_SD_CARD_TRANSFER
  3. The DMA complete flag is set
  4.  If 1-3 do not happen, then I timeout after 30000 ms.

Using the debugger, I see that the DMA2 Channel 4 while loop always times out and 1-3 HAL_SD_STATE_BUSY, HAL_SD_CARD_RECEIVING, and the flag is not set, respectively. DMA2 Channel 2 works correctly in that 1-3 are HAL_SD_STATE_READY, HAL_SD_CARD_TRANSFER, and the flag is set.

I also used an oscilloscope to probe the SDCLK and SDDA0 lines. When DMA2 Channel 5 is used, I see SDCLK toggling and SDDA0 transmitting or receiving. When DMA2 Channel 4 is used, SDCLK is held high and SDDA0 remains low.

What is happening here? Why does DMA2 Channel 4 not work while DMA2 Channel 5 works for the same setup? I would like to use DMA for both the SDMMC Rx and Tx.

#stm32-l4 #dma-sdmmc #sdmmc #stm-32
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Posted on May 24, 2018 at 17:59

Hello,

When using DMA2_Channel4 for TX and RX paths, there is no issue.

The problem occurs when using DMA2_Channel4 for one path and DMA2_Channel5 for the other path.

This is due to the fact that two channels are configured for SDMMC1 request.

The SDMMC DMA request is not dependent to a direction (it is SDMMC1 and not SDMMC1_TX or SDMMC1_RX).

So, as a workaround, we suggest to use one of these solutions:

• 1st solution : 

Use same DMA channel for both Rx and Tx paths.

• 2nd solution : Clear the request of the other path before to perform a DMA transfer;

=> This can be done by using the function LL_DMA_SetPeriphRequest().

Best Regards,

Imen.

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Posted on May 04, 2018 at 17:48

Can you link to a web page for an STM32L461VG, Google isn't helping me.

Not sure of the value of two DMA channels in this context the bulk-transfers, and the command stream is serialized in a way that it's either READING or WRITING, and not putting it's pants on both legs at a time.

Would check the RM and errata if there is a specific issue or one channel or the other, but changing things frequently requires changing settings in about half-a-dozen places to make sure you're looking at the right flags, and binding to the right IRQ handler, etc.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Imen.D
ST Employee
Posted on May 16, 2018 at 12:01

Hello

simone.agha

Can you please precise which CubeMx version and Firmware package are you using ?

I recommend you to checkif you have encountered this issue using the latest version.

Best Regards,

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen
Posted on May 24, 2018 at 17:59

Hello,

When using DMA2_Channel4 for TX and RX paths, there is no issue.

The problem occurs when using DMA2_Channel4 for one path and DMA2_Channel5 for the other path.

This is due to the fact that two channels are configured for SDMMC1 request.

The SDMMC DMA request is not dependent to a direction (it is SDMMC1 and not SDMMC1_TX or SDMMC1_RX).

So, as a workaround, we suggest to use one of these solutions:

• 1st solution : 

Use same DMA channel for both Rx and Tx paths.

• 2nd solution : Clear the request of the other path before to perform a DMA transfer;

=> This can be done by using the function LL_DMA_SetPeriphRequest().

Best Regards,

Imen.

Thanks
Imen
Posted on May 29, 2018 at 18:16

Hi Imen,

I used the first solution you described (use the same DMA channel) and that solved my problem.

Thanks!

Simone