cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F407G-DISC1 detecting as ST-LINK/V2-1

shiva kumar
Associate II
Posted on June 16, 2018 at 05:35

I connected my STM32F407G-DISC1 to the PC and when i opened the keil IDE and checked the debug adapter unit in the target settings. It was listed as ST-LINK/V2-1 but I see in the Discovery kit user manual that it is supposed to be ST-LINK/V2-A. How can I change this? Thank you!

10 REPLIES 10
Posted on June 16, 2018 at 09:49

Does it not program the board?

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on June 17, 2018 at 04:17

It does program and debugging is also happening but I am not able to connect to the UART2 of the board via the stlink virtual com port. 

Posted on June 17, 2018 at 11:22

The boards I've seen don't physically connect the VCP pins to anything

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
henry.dick
Senior II
Posted on June 17, 2018 at 13:49

'

How can I change this?'

1. see if you can upgrade to a firmware version that supports what you want to do. you will need to figure out if the uart pins on the target are routed to the correct stlink pins;

2. pick a board that supports that. nucleo boards are nice in this regard.

on a side note, some later discovery boards indeed support virtual comm ports, even if the manuals say that they don't.

Posted on June 17, 2018 at 13:05

So the only way i can communicate between usart2 and the host PC is using  USB to UART converter?

Posted on June 17, 2018 at 13:40

Depends what the end goals are here. If you just want debug output, then the SWV via the PB3 SWO pin would be viable.

A USB-to-CMOS Serial adapter to one of the USART would be one method.

You could implement a USB-VCP on the F4, and connect to the USB port on the south end of the board.

Posted on June 17, 2018 at 14:32

I updated the firmware and everything else that could be done i did. the stm32f407G-DISC1 stlink VCP connected to the UART2

Posted on June 17, 2018 at 14:37

My end goal here is to be able to send commands to the USART2. for which i am using the USB-to-CMOS serial adapter. A more elegant solution would be to use the USB-VCP. I am successfully transmitting and receiving data, but I havnt been able to figure out how to connect the USART to it though. 

Posted on June 17, 2018 at 16:35

I don't think the ST-LINK VCP gets beyond the pins of the STM32F103 part, so you'd need to solder wires to pin. The STM32F4-DISC1 seems to have been a modification of the original DISCO version, but the designers only got half way through the process before ordering the boards.

Unless there is something compelling about the STM32F4-DISC series boards you really need, look seriously at the NUCLEO-F429ZI board. The VCP works, and the shield USART pins don't conflict.

As mentioned by dhenry there are other newer DISCO/NUCLEO boards providing mbed support and a functional VCP-USART connection.