cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can I connect USART2 of STM32F4Discovery DISC1 to the host without the use of USB to UART converter?

shiva kumar
Associate II
Posted on June 08, 2018 at 21:10

My project needs me to connect the host PC to my STM32F4Discovery DISC1 via the virtual COM port to the USART2. So that I can send commands to the Bootloader. Though I have been able to transmit data from the USART3 to the hist PC. I havnt had success in transmitting data to the PC via USART2. How to i do this? I am using tera term for viewing the data transmitted

3 REPLIES 3
Posted on June 08, 2018 at 21:31

Do the pins you're using for USART2 clash with usage already defined by the board design?

Check the user manual for the board. Check the USART peripheral, pin and clock settings via a debugger.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
shiva kumar
Associate II
Posted on June 08, 2018 at 22:25

no they dont clash. all i have at this point are my discovery board and its connecting cable. The confusion is at this point though that. I created the project using with CUBEMX for the STM32F4Discovery here the pins PD8 and PB11 are USART3TX and USART3RX respectively. But, it clearly states in the bootloader application notes that PB10 - USART3RX and PB11 - USART3TX. which one is right?  

since i have the new discovery board it registers in my device manager as a virtual COM device. I have checked everything else. its all in order

Posted on June 09, 2018 at 00:45

>>But, it clearly states in the bootloader application notes that PB10 - USART3RX and PB11 - USART3TX. which one is right? 

Both, according to the data sheet the USART3 pins can be mapped to several different physical pins. The ROM based system loader has some specific requirements as it is monitoring a subset of pins/peripherals.

http://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/datasheet/ef/92/76/6d/bb/c2/4f/f7/DM00037051.pdf/files/DM00037051.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00037051.pdf

The VCP on the STM32F4-DISC1 is a little impractical to escape as the pins on the STM32F103 aren't brought out to a header, or connected on the board.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..