Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM sections, map file, RAM memory filling

Davide Michelis
Associate II
Posted on May 18, 2018 at 14:54

Good morning,

I am developing an application that uses STM32F3DISCO as board and FreeRTOS as OS. I want to keep some data in the RAM after some Software reset that I do under some conditions so I have used the notation

__attribute__((section('.my_section')))

near the variables I want to preserve. Moreover in the linker script I have added a section just after .data and before .bss

.my_section (NOLOAD):

{

. = ALIGN(4);

_s_my_section = .;      

*(.my_section)

. = ALIGN(4) ;

_e_my_section = .;

} > RAM

Now, the application works correctly and the values are preserved but I want to understand more:

when I do a reset pressing the button I get my values stored  -> OK

when I do a power on reset values are more or less random -> OK

To put a 0 in those locations again I have to upload a program without that section defined...is the SRAM reset to 0 when a new .bin is flashed? Because otherwise I cannot explain this behavior.

Sorry if the question could seem a bit naive.

Greetings,

Davide

#soft-reset #memory-sections #ld-script #linker
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Posted on May 18, 2018 at 16:22

I'd probably lean toward putting this kind of data in the top of RAM, and shrinking the memory described to the linker. Or use the BKPRAM/NVRAM if available. On the F3 the 16KB of CCMRAM might be less vulnerable to use by the tools.

>>Uhm ok thanks, so how can I be sure that I'm going to reset the region I will use to store/update those data across resets? 

Storage structure has a leading signature, and trailing checksum/crc, this will fail a simple integrity check across the power-up scenario.

typedef struct _FOORAMSTRUCT {

uint32_t Sig;

uint32_t Foo;

uint32_t Bar;

uint32_t Crc;

} FOORAMSTRUCT;

FOORAMSRUCT *ramstuff = (FOORAMSRUCT *)0x10000000;

if ((ramstuff->Sig == 0xCAFECAFE) && (Crc32(0xFFFFFFFF, ramstuff, sizeof(FOORAMSTRUCT)) == 0)

{

// Structure Intact

}

else

{

// Structure Corrupt - copy in new defaults and sign

}

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Posted on May 18, 2018 at 15:12

The download process usually puts a loader into RAM, and that uses other areas of RAM to perform the FLASH Erase/Write operations.

If you leave persistent data in RAM you might want to consider placing that all within a structure, and then having signatures and checksums so you can verify the integrity of that data, and copy in some new defaults when there is no valid data there.

Posted on May 18, 2018 at 15:48

Uhm ok thanks, so how can I be sure that I'm going to reset the region I will use to store/update those data across resets? 

Posted on May 18, 2018 at 16:22

I'd probably lean toward putting this kind of data in the top of RAM, and shrinking the memory described to the linker. Or use the BKPRAM/NVRAM if available. On the F3 the 16KB of CCMRAM might be less vulnerable to use by the tools.

>>Uhm ok thanks, so how can I be sure that I'm going to reset the region I will use to store/update those data across resets? 

Storage structure has a leading signature, and trailing checksum/crc, this will fail a simple integrity check across the power-up scenario.

typedef struct _FOORAMSTRUCT {

uint32_t Sig;

uint32_t Foo;

uint32_t Bar;

uint32_t Crc;

} FOORAMSTRUCT;

FOORAMSRUCT *ramstuff = (FOORAMSRUCT *)0x10000000;

if ((ramstuff->Sig == 0xCAFECAFE) && (Crc32(0xFFFFFFFF, ramstuff, sizeof(FOORAMSTRUCT)) == 0)

{

// Structure Intact

}

else

{

// Structure Corrupt - copy in new defaults and sign

}

Posted on May 18, 2018 at 17:10

OK then the idea is:

- when i upload a new program, RAM is used to perform some movement from/to Flash and so if I get a region filled with 0 is just by chance

- solution could be using a known region in the RAM (like you said the top) and then accessing it directly: this is a kind of absolute mapping

Thank you for the suggestion of the structure and integrity check too.

Best regards, Davide

Posted on May 20, 2018 at 22:46

Depending on the tools and implementation the startup code can often zero the statics, heap and stack. The hardware operates at a much more simplistic level, where the RAM content at startup is indeterminate and inconsequential. The reset typically clearing registers and internal states, but not iterating through memory clearing it.

Posted on May 22, 2018 at 10:28

Ok thank you, I have implemented an additional mechanism to reset those variables before the first cycle begins.

Best regards,

Davide