Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F7 BSP Record audio mono channel

Hector Roussille
Associate
Posted on May 23, 2018 at 10:11

Hello !

I am currently working on an audio application on STM32F7-discovery.

The example application is recording in stereo from the 2 MEMS microphones regardless of the parameters sent to :

BSP_AUDIO_IN_Init

I am now using my own application , but the behavior is the same , always stereo.

I suspected that it was because the codec initialization code in wm8994.c was turning on both channels when the input device specified is : INPUT_DEVICE_DIGITAL_MICROPHONE_2

So i changed the initialization of INPUT_DEVICE_DIGITAL_MICROPHONE_2 to only initialize the right channel and disable the left one In order to get a mono output from the wm8994.

case

INPUT_DEVICE_DIGITAL_MICROPHONE_2 :       

/* Enable AIF1ADC2 (Left), Enable AIF1ADC2 (Right)

* Enable DMICDAT2 (Left), Enable DMICDAT2 (Right)

* Enable Left ADC, Enable Right ADC */

//counter += CODEC_IO_Write(DeviceAddr, 0x04, 0x0C30);

counter

+=

CODEC_IO_Write(DeviceAddr,

0x04

0x0410

);       

/* Enable AIF1 DRC2 Signal Detect & DRC in AIF1ADC2 Left/Right Timeslot 1 */

//counter += CODEC_IO_Write(DeviceAddr, 0x450, 0x00DB);

counter

+=

0x450

0x00D9

);       

/* Disable IN1L, IN1R, IN2L, IN2R, Enable Thermal sensor & shutdown */

counter

+=

0x02

0x6000

);       

/* Enable the DMIC2(Left) to AIF1 Timeslot 1 (Left) mixer path */

//counter += CODEC_IO_Write(DeviceAddr, 0x608, 0x0002);

counter

+=

0x608

0x0000

);       

/* Enable the DMIC2(Right) to AIF1 Timeslot 1 (Right) mixer path */

counter

+=

0x609

0x0002

);       

/* GPIO1 pin configuration GP1_DIR = output, GP1_FN = AIF1 DRC2 signal detect */

counter

+=

0x700

0x000E

);       

break

;

I have indeed the left channel constantly at 0  so it is disabled , but the samples are still received.

I would like to receive only the RIGHT channel samples,  is this even possible ? I assumed that it is but maybe not..

I don't know if this is a DMA configuration error or another setting that i cannot find in the

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/76/WM8994_v4.4-532439.pdf

If i understand correctly the two MEMS microphones share the same clock and data line the wm8994 is reading at both rising and falling edge on the data line , where each microphone alternately 'send' it's PDM sample.

I looked for a way to read only on one edge on the wm8994 but without success so far.

My apologies if i missed something obvious, for now I only take the odd samples from the received buffer but i believe that a much cleaner solution is possible ?

Thanks in advance for any help !

#stm32f7 #stm32f7-audio
2 REPLIES 2
Nesrine M_O
Lead II
Posted on May 23, 2018 at 11:29

Hi

hroussille

Do you try to have a look to the audio application under the STM32F7 package, it may be helpful :

STM32Cube_FW_F7_V1.0\Projects\STM32746G-Discovery\Applications\Audio\Audio_playback_and_record

This application shows how to use the different functionalities of Audio device and ST MEMS microphones (MP45DT02), use touch screen to enter into playback or record menu.

-Nesrine-

Hector Roussille
Associate
Posted on May 23, 2018 at 12:58

Hi !

Thank you for your answer !

Yes my application is mostly inspired of it.

But even on this application demo application the recorded audio is stereo even when changing : 

DEFAULT_AUDIO_IN_CHANNEL_NBR which is passed as parameter to BSP_AUDIO_IN_Init.

I have the same problem in my custom application that is why i started changing the driver.