Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VL53L0X: Cone at Distance X - Objects in way

Jonathan Frech
Associate II
Posted on May 26, 2018 at 15:52

My question is about the VL53L0X.

In the Datasheet on Page 30, there is a Collector Exclusion and Emiter Exclusion Zone defined. Sadly I did not find any information how big the cone will be at a Distance X. Is this cone expanding with the same angle as shown in the graphic?

My conecern is the following. Imagine the VL53L0X Vertically mounted in 1cm high on a endless white surface. At some distance X the cone of the sensor will be so large, that it will detect the white surface. A Object on Distance X+n would then not be recognized.

How can if ind out what the maximum circle of detection is at range max of 2000mm?

And how does the VL53L0X work? Is there a single, absoulte range value, or is it possible to still detect a change in constellation even if the VL53L0X sees an obstacle? By the change of value from the changed constellation?

Thank you

1 REPLY 1
aclar
Associate

Hi,

If there are multiple targets in the sensors field of view the distance measured will be a weighted average of each targets distance.

As the transmitter and receiver on the vl53l0x have different view angles (see the data sheet) you will have to calculate the field of view at distance x.