cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are all wifi modules not recommended for new design?

Maik Nowack
Associate
Posted on May 30, 2018 at 13:35

I have seen, that all wifi-modules are not recommended for new design. Are you planning to publish a new one? If so, will it has the same dimensions and a similar pinning?

#spwf01sa #wifi #spwf04sc #spwf04sa #spwf01sc
3 REPLIES 3
Posted on May 30, 2018 at 15:24

The problem with the WiFi space is that it continues to evolve and chipsets have a finite and shrinking self-life. Unlikely to be parts where you can expect 5 or 10 year delivery horizons.

One of the issues at ST is that the wireless group is not the micro processor group.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on May 30, 2018 at 15:58

Your Statement may be right, but then for all modules of that product group NRND? And ST don't announce a replacement. That's like they don't want to develop new wifi-modules anymore. By the way, have a look at the direct competitors, most wifi-modules are NRND.

Posted on May 30, 2018 at 20:10

I would agree that ST needs to make definitive statements about what they are doing in this space.

On Embedded Linux platforms we look for USB WiFi Dongles we like and can support. And recommend customers to one time buy dongles to ensure consistency.

The people using chip level solutions are in continuous product release cycles, and they drive the volume and the business.

I suspect there are also integration/validation issues with new silicon, and these can introduce all kinds of bubbles in delivery and forecasting of new products. ie you don't want millions of old parts you can't sell, you don't have millions of new parts ready to go.

I've asked ST to be more transparent, they share roadmaps with key partners on one hand, but on the other they want to grow the small customer and maker market, but if you keep burning those customers they will black list you from consideration moving forward.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..