cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STSM-LINK009 driver issue Windows 10

Paul Leslie
Associate II
Posted on May 30, 2018 at 19:16

I downloaded the STSM-Link009 driver and extracted the zip file content to a folder on my C:\ drive. ran the 64-bit .exe file. Everything seemed to install correctly. I have a Windows 10 64-bit OS. I then connected my STM32VL Discovery board and windows automatically installed a driver called WPD FileSystem Volume driver instead of the usb driver for the STM32VL Discovery board. 

I then tried installing using the .inf file. I chose update driver, let me pick from a list of available drivers, have disk, chose the folder that contains the zip file contents and when I hit OK it gives me an error that says the folder does not contain any compatible software for x64 based system.

I then chose Browse my computer for driver software. Selected the folder which contains the zip file contents. Selected next and the response says the best driver for your device is already installed. The driver is the WFD FileSystem Volume driver. 

I have uninstalled the device and tried again with same results. I then turned off windows automatically installing drivers and again had the same result. 

I am at a loss on what to try next to get this working. Any help would be appreciated!

#stm32-usb-driver #stm32 #stm32-driver-installation #stm32fldiscovery
4 REPLIES 4
Paul Leslie
Associate II
Posted on June 07, 2018 at 13:20

Does anyone have any suggestions for this? I was told by ST tech support this is an active forum and I should receive a response withing 24 hours. There has not been one reply to this post. Right now I have a board I can do nothing with which is frustrating! Any suggestion would be helpful!

Posted on June 07, 2018 at 14:49

To support STM32VLDiscovery ST-LINK consider a VM with the Windows XP (use Virtual Box for example).

OR use external ST-LINK v2 dongle (search ebay for 3$ devices).

Posted on June 07, 2018 at 14:32

Forums can be like that, there is no guarantee a post will curry favour, or a response.

The VL Discovery is a 7-8 year old board (think WinXP), with older firmware and design (ST-LINK V1), newer DISCO/NUCLEO boards use different drivers (ST-LINK V2, V2-1) and have development team focus. Not sure why ST hasn't scrapped or refreshed the VL design, but them pushing you off on the forum is a bit disingenuous. Not a battle I'm looking to fight.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Pavel A.
Evangelist III
Posted on June 08, 2018 at 00:43

Probably you mean WPD, not WFD? WPD is 'Windows Portable Device', which can be either  MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) device or a small USB storage with a FAT filesystem. You can ask in the

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=wdk

why Windows decides to install this driver and would older Windows version behave differently. Usually it has a good reason.

Forcing Windows 10 to install a different driver is a guru-level operation. 

-- pa