Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32 compatibility with PIC18

Koceila Hami
Associate II
Posted on June 07, 2018 at 16:26

Hello everyone,

I am currently working on a traveler counting system that is based on a PIC18 and I would like for network link reasons to make a serial link (RS232), in fact, a new standard of transport, to put in disposition protocols defined as FTP, DHCP, mDNS, SSH, TCP ... to have the same connection with the same protocols on all public transport (Bus, Tram ..), and it turns out that the TCP/IP stack PIC18 does not have all the protocols required, for this we wish to migrate to an STM32.

I would like to know the compatibilities between the PIC18 and the STM32, in particular:

• Compatibilities between the number of inputs/outputs
  • Compatibilities between the serial link, UART, RS232
  • What kind of microcontroller and STM32 card used to be the most compatible

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6
henry.dick
Senior II
Posted on June 07, 2018 at 17:34

'

it turns out that the TCP/IP stack PIC18 does not have all the protocols required'

so are you looking for a STM32 that does NOT support those protocols so it can be compatible with a PIC18 (that also doesn't support such protocols)?

I think you are asking the wrong questions. Instead, you should list out your design goals and ask which / if STM32 supports them. Whether they are compatible with PIC18 (or any other MCUs) isn't important at all so long as it gets the job done.

Posted on June 07, 2018 at 18:08

The PIC18 and STM32 are entirely different micro-controllers, sharing little or no lineage.

People have made a business of selling proper TCP/IP Stacks commercially, perhaps you should investigate or invest in one that meets your needs/requirements, and discuss with the vendor what micro-controller they think is best suited to your application and use case.

Most people doing heavy TCP/IP work would likely migrate to an Embedded Linux platform, and the relative costs of doing that have narrowed significantly in recent years.

Take responsibility for your part selection and analysis. There is a huge array of STM32 parts, the data sheets should provide the details you need to make a reasonable comparison.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Koceila Hami
Associate II
Posted on June 08, 2018 at 09:42

Hello,

sorry I was not very clear,

it does not have the counting device that is based on PIC but it is the Ethernet link that was made by a PIC18F97J60 and now it must be done with another microcontroller capable of supporting a TCP / IP stack quite complete to meet specifications, and for that I need to do a study on the micro controller STM32 which they can supported a wide range of TCP / IP stack, and as before the connection was made in PIC18, to replace it and not change the architecture too much and the code, we look for the most compatible STM with him. I know that there is a wide range of STM32, and precisely I want to find the most compatible input / output and serial link (RS232)

For example the PIC18 has 5 ports input/output, which range of STM32 has the same or the closest?

Posted on June 08, 2018 at 09:40

Hello,

sorry I was not very clear,

it does not have the counting device that is based on PIC but it is the Ethernet link that was made by a PIC18F97J60 and now it must be done with another microcontroller capable of supporting a TCP / IP stack quite complete to meet specifications, and for that I need to do a study on the micro controller STM32 which they can supported a wide range of TCP / IP stack, and as before the connection was made in PIC18, to replace it and not change the architecture too much and the code, we look for the most compatible STM with him. I know that there is a wide range of STM32, and precisely I want to find the most compatible input / output and serial link (RS232)
Posted on June 08, 2018 at 10:00

Hi Clive, thank you for your answer

Which range and card STM32 is the most compatible with PIC 18 at the input / output and liiaions series? and is there a free TCP / IP stack for the STM32 that is complete enough to support multiple protocols such as:

FTP, SSH, mDNS

DHCP

TCP/UDP

IPv4, ARP

ETHERNET Link

Posted on June 08, 2018 at 10:16

For example the PIC18 has 5 ports input/output, which range of STM32 has the same or the closest?

Usually 6 to 8 GPIO ports, 16 bit wide.

Not all port bits have actual pins assigned, and not all GPIOs are broken out on all packages.

Best check the datasheets.

... but it is the Ethernet link that was made by a PIC18F97J60 ...

AFAIK, no PIC18 chipd has an ethernet peripheral. Microchip uses a 'companion chip' with PHY and it's own firmware, that does all the work for the PIC. Interfaced with SPI, if I remember correctly.