cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get off to a good start with a legendary eval board

Mark Symmes
Associate
Posted on June 28, 2018 at 00:45

I am now following a new path down the road with STM.  I have done lots of work with old stuff like Rabbit Semi but just getting up to speed on ARM and someone at ARM gave me some very good recommendations on what I would call some 'gold standard eval boards'.   My words, not his. 

In any event,  just received the STM32F429I-DISCO1 and before I mess it up, do I need to upgrade the firmware which is sitting at 1.0.1 ?

And if so, where can I find the bin file.  I have dozens of PDF's downloaded but I must be missing something obvious.

BTW, my toolchain/IDE of choice as of today is 'atollic'.  I am running it under Linux (Debian/Ubuntu/Mint 18.3) with Gnome 3 as a desktop.   

Thanks in advance for any help regarding this newbie question !

6 REPLIES 6
Posted on June 28, 2018 at 10:31

where can I find the bin file

The original is in the bundle at

https://my.st.com/content/my_st_com/en/products/embedded-software/mcus-embedded-software/stm32-embedded-software/stm32-standard-peripheral-library-expansion/stsw-stm32138.html

, the example binary is under Projects/Demonstration/Binary, however this is based on the SPL 'library' which is now deprecated by ST. ST now pushes Cube/CubeMX; so you'll find a 'modern' Cube-based bundle in [STM32Cube_FW_F4_Vxxxx]\Projects\STM32F429I-Discovery\ again an out-of-the-box binary is under Demonstrations/Binary. Also, CubeMX should help you to create some code through clicking.

(Disclaimer: I don't Cube.)

JW

Lead
Posted on June 28, 2018 at 11:01

Wasn't the STM32F429I-DISCO the one that 'wasted' most MCU pins for peripherals few people ever used (RAM, LCD) ?

Might be fine for your projects, though.

BTW, my toolchain/IDE of choice as of today is 'atollic'.  I am running it under Linux (Debian/Ubuntu/Mint 18.3) with Gnome 3 as a desktop.

Atollic had been bought by ST, and is - because or despite of that - currently in a kind of limbo.

I use Crossworks, which works fine under Linux as well.

Neither do I Cube.

henry.dick
Senior II
Posted on June 28, 2018 at 13:10

'

someone at ARM gave me some very good recommendations on what I would call some 'gold standard eval boards'.   My words, not his. '

be careful next time taking his words at face value.

Posted on June 28, 2018 at 14:44

It was the board where ethernet, SDIO and CAN were basically unusable, and you had a handful of ADC inputs.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Mark Symmes
Associate
Posted on June 28, 2018 at 18:18

Thanks for the responses everyone.   Can someone recommend a board because I don't mind starting over.  Want to get off to a good start with IoT development.   Would prefer something that could support wifi and also and addon such as the LTE cell board.  

So much for legendary. Again my words, not his so my fault.

And what do you guys mean when you say you 'don't Cube'.  

Feel like such and idiot here, especially for someone who developed and patented a product that is still running in the field in commercial use 10 years later

Posted on June 28, 2018 at 18:51

HAL/Cube is the newer, thicker, abstraction layer and robot code generator. It uses a paradigm that doesn't fit how a lot of us do things, it is just too bulky and frequently gets in its own way. Lot of unstated rules and expectations, easy to get into race conditions or priority inversions. While the code quality has improved (Microsoft/Adobe Style) there are a lot of regression issues, and stuff really isn't solidly tested in real-world application. So its good to get a quick demo to show off some feature, but practically you'd need to commit to a specific release and test the snot out of it in your specific application in a commercial product.

Most of us prefer the original SPL (Standard Peripheral Library) which has a 10+ year linage in to parts prior to the STM32, or more brutal direct register manipulation. I lean toward the SPL, but will switch horses where it serves my goals, and getting a workable demonstration running quickly.

Of the F4 board the NUCLEO-144 is the most open (break out board), and there are ones with Ethernet on-board, and SD/MMC sockets can be wired easily.

If Cortex-M4 (CM4) suits your needs, look at the newer L4 or L4+ families.

A lot of the DISCO boards will now take Arduino shields, and this is the primary route to add functionality, as the boards themselves soak up pins for LCD, SDRAM, QSPI, SDMMC etc.

The STM32F746G-DISCO has a lot of functionality, the CM7 used only has a single-precision (32-bit float) FPU.

The STM32F769I-DISCO has a much better screen (can drive HDMI panels too), and a CM7 with a full FPU with single and double precision, and you can power it using PoE.

The STM32F469I-DISCO is a CM4 with a similar screen but lacks Ethernet.

For WiFi perhaps the L475-DISCO IOT board

https://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/b-l475e-iot01a.html

For Cellular perhaps something with an STMod+ connector

https://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/p-l496g-cell02.html

Cellular, GPS or WiFi on Shields is also a practical method to extend the base functionality of the board.

Unfortunately there are a lot of choices, it is usually a balance of what key hardware the board comes with vs what is simple/desirable to add.

>>Feel like such and idiot here, especially for someone who developed and patented a product that is still running in the field in commercial use 10 years later 

Well I can subscribe to that, I like to make things bullet-proof so my phone doesn't ring with angry customers or support techs with pitch forks and torches. Which is why I don't care for the debris field development process Microsoft pioneered (rolling list of bugs, things that get fixed, things that never get fixed, new bugs and dependencies).

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..