Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STusb1602 usb 2.0 protocol connections

Vincent Palma
Associate II
Posted on June 29, 2018 at 17:16

Hello!

i am trying to pair a nordic nrf52 mcu with the stusb1602 throug a usb c cable but i would like firmware upgrades on our upcoming product to go through the usb 2 protocol too and i have no clue how to pair the usb c an the controller

hope to get some answers. Im new to this

2 REPLIES 2
Gregory Go.
Senior II

Hello,

With the USB Type-C specifications, the Data path and Power path are independent.

That means:

- The USB Type-C controller manages the cable connection/orientation and Power negotiation. But not the Data.

- The USB 2.0 controller manages the Data (on D+/D-).

The USB Type-C didn't change anything to the USB data path. So you can use a USB Type-C controller with any legacy USB 2.0 controller (or USB 3.x controller).

The Hardware implementation to have USB-C with USB 2.0 data is described on the attached block diagram.

* Firmware Upgrade:

In your case, where you would like to have the Firmware Upgrade (DFU), This feature will be managed by the USB 2.0 controller (as it has always been managed), but not by USB type-C controller.

So any software that you had available for your USB data controller with a legacy cable will still work the same way with a USB-C cable. Because it is the same D+/D- pins which are used for DFU.

Best regards.

0690X0000060QxBQAU.png

Gregory Go.
Senior II

The USB-PD firmware stack for STUSB1602 is available here: 

X-CUBE-USB-PD:

https://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/embedded-software/mcus-embedded-software/stm32-embedded-software/stm32cube-expansion-packages/x-cube-usb-pd.html

Note that this firmware has been developed for STM32 microcontroller. Thus it is not directly compatible with 3rd party MCUs.