cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LSM9DS1 magnetic sensitivity

Kim McCavit
Associate II
Posted on July 10, 2018 at 16:40

The magnetic sensitivity for the LSM9DS1 is 0.14 mguass/LSB on its most sensitive range.  The LIS2MDL is 1.5 mguass/LSB.  Is the LSM9DS1 really 10X more sensitive?  If so, it would seem the best choice for applications like a driveway sensor since it could detect smaller disturbances as vehicles passed by.  On the other hand, it is an older design, so should it be used in new designs?  Is there an alternate part with the same or similar sensitivity?

#lsm9ds1-magnetic-sensitivity
4 REPLIES 4
Miroslav BATEK
ST Employee
Posted on July 13, 2018 at 11:40

Yes, the LSM9DS1 is more sensitive, the Full Scare is also lower 4 gauss, in case LIS2MDL the full scale is 50 gauss.

I don't know how big is the magnetic disturbance when the vehicle passed by, it will be dependent on many variables. Please be aware there might be other disturbances in magnetic field so you will have to mainly distinguish which one is caused by the vehicle. Personally, I think you don't need so high sensitivity.

LSM9DS1 is still active product so it should be OK to use it.

Anyway I would recommend you to do some trials to see what are the real values of the magnetic field which you want to analyze.

Kim McCavit
Associate II
Posted on July 13, 2018 at 15:01

Thanks for the feedback.  I've been experimenting with the LSM303 since Adafruit had a module and code that made it easy to do on an Arduino. Detection range was pretty good (15- 20ft) for most vehicles, but we would like a little more more range if possible.  I have samples of the LSM9D1 on order and will give them a try.

CJosh
Associate

Hello, how did you calibrate the magnetometer? I've been interfacing it with Atmels ATSAMS70 and I'm having trouble calibrating it. Can you help me with it? Thanks.

Kim McCavit
Associate II
I have not tried to calibrate the sensor, I just used the sensitivities given on the data sheet. My application does not require accurate calibration.