Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

community.st.com

Philipp Krause
Senior II
Posted on December 20, 2017 at 12:33

STM8 2018 wishlist

There is a

https://community.st.com/community/stm32-community/stm32-forum/blog/2017/12/05/2018-stm32-wish-list

but none for the STM8 yet, so I'm starting one here.

Philipp

#wishlist
19 REPLIES 19
Philipp Krause
Senior II
Posted on December 20, 2017 at 12:38

I would like to see more support for STM8 IoT use. There should be STM8 development boards with short- and medium-range wireless netowrking. Ideally, there would be STM8 variants with direct support for such technologies. But some reference designs that require a few extra chips for communication (as long as this does not impact the energy budget too much) would help, too.

Philipp

raimond
Associate III
Posted on December 20, 2017 at 17:52

1. Better accuracy of the HSI. +/-1% for the entire temperature range (and VCC).

2. A simple PLL. Even a clock doubler would be good, from 4-8MHz to 8-16MHz. A clock doubler is very very simple to implement.

3. RWW eeprom for more parts if not all.

4. More support for SDCC.

5. Some bug fixes from errata sheets would be good too.

Posted on December 20, 2017 at 18:33

>>1. Better accuracy of the HSI. +/-1% for the entire temperature range (and VCC). 

Hugely difficult to do across process variations, and to test, trim and guarantee in specifications.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Philipp Krause
Senior II
Posted on December 20, 2017 at 22:11

It would also be nice to have devices with 16 KB of RAM (maybe also 8 KB or 12 KB, but those seem less important to me).

Philipp

henry.dick
Senior II
Posted on January 31, 2018 at 15:09

More toolchain options would be great. Sdcc isn't for prime time. Iar is great but expensive. Maybe atollic under St ownership can offer something in the near future?

The parts themselves are great. However, I have seen more people gravitating towards cm0 parts instead, given more performance, better upward mobility, and minimum cost differentials. Maybe St should focus those parts as pic/avr killers. To do that, more interesting peripherals in pin limited parts would be help.

I would suggest a better pin remap mechanism (aka pic24), dac, adc with internal calibration and differential inputs, high speed programmable oscillator, opamp and programmable gates...

Posted on February 28, 2018 at 16:59

dhenry wrote:

... I have seen more people gravitating towards cm0 parts instead, given more performance, better upward mobility, and minimum cost differentials. Maybe St should focus those parts as pic/avr killers. ...

I would suggest a better pin remap mechanism (aka pic24), dac, adc with internal calibration and differential inputs, high speed programmable oscillator, opamp and programmable gates...

PIC24 is a cm0 killer. Better pin remapping, better speed, lots of good peripherals, great case/capsule options for beginners and hobbyists, almost on par with cm3, excellent documentation.

All I want from STM8S series, is DIP encapsulation (or at least, big smd sizes as Microchip offers - tqfp and ssop ) for all lines (Value, Access, Performance). And then, no need of cm0 or 'Discovery/Nucleo' boards that can't be used in commercial products.

Posted on February 28, 2018 at 23:01

Yeah. Pic24 is a great chip that's grossly underappreciated by users and under marketed by microchip.

Posted on March 01, 2018 at 14:26

I am not familiar with the PIC24 and AVR, and have very limited experience with CM0 and CM4.

But I still see a place for the STM8. The STM8 still looks like a good counter to other cheap / low-power µCs. It is a lot faster than MCS-51 or PIC16. If ST can increase the clock speed on the STM8 a bit - 24 Mhz seems a bit low by current standards - and compilers optimize a bit more - I assume SDCC 3.9.0 will reach over 0.4 DMIPS / Mhz - the STM8 should also still be OK speed-wise.

Philipp

Posted on March 01, 2018 at 15:01

STM8 is a really good chip, on par with AVR. (I don't know about PIC24).

They usually beat poor CM0's (15-16MHz or so) on control applications.

Unfortunately, ST is not likely to develop new STM8 chips it seems, on the

contrary, they want us to go to 32bit as much as possible. This is in

contrast with Microchip for example, which actively develops AVR and PIC

chips. They just came out in 2018 with a brand new AVR family with lot of

improvements, even in the cpu core! 8bitters are not going away any time

soon, and it's kind of a pity that ST is not pushing their STM8 harder.

2018-03-01 15:27 GMT+02:00 Philipp Krause <st-microelectronics@jiveon.com>:

STMicroelectronics Community

<https://community.st.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

Re: STM8 2018 wishlist

reply from Philipp Krause

<

in STM8 MCUs - View the full discussion

<https://community.st.com/message/187791-re-stm8-2018-wishlist?commentID=187791&et=watches.email.thread ♯ comment-187791>